3.23.2010

Happy Birthday Nikki

It was my niece's birthday this last week and my mom asked me to make the cake. I decided I would try a topsy turvy cake since I've never made one and I've always thought they were so cute. I also decided I would try and make my own fondant because up to this point I usually buy it. My first mistake was trying two new things on one cake. It wasn't that difficult to put the cake together but it definitely took longer than a normal cake. The fondant was very frustrating - it was so soft that it was a PAIN to work with. I think I'll try an new recipe next time - if anyone has a good one I'd love to try it out. I think the cake turned out ok - but next time I think I will focus on the coloring more and not just 'wing it' off of Sammy's suggestions (he was excited when he saw all of the colors he had picked). It's not what I had in mind for the finished product, but Nikki loved it - and I that's all that matters. Happy Birthday Nikki!


3 comments:

  1. You are so talented. Do you take classes on cake decorating or have you just figured it out on your own? They always look so great. I don't think I would be able to cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...that's all I can say! Are you for hire?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are too kind! Hillary I actually took a couple of classes with a friend of mine a little while ago and then I've just played around - you could totally do it! :) Nat you are so funny - I'm always happy to help anyone out - but you could totally do it! :)

    ReplyDelete